Love Our City
LOVE OUR CITY: December 10-12, 2020
When love shines through, we make an impact on the people around us, in our community, in the city. Jesus told us to “Love our neighbors as we love ourselves.” LOVE OUR CITY is an opportunity for us to be better neighbors, spread kindness in our community, and be the change we want to see in the world.
People around the world are affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) as you read this. It feels so big and leaves so many of us wondering, “How can I help during the coronavirus crisis?” Maybe you want to serve others, but you just don’t know how. Here’s some good news to remember: It’s not on you to save everyone. But we all can serve someone. And serving others around us is always one of the primary ways God works in us and through us.
ADDITIONAL WAYS TO SERVE OTHERS IN A PANDEMIC
During this time of uncertainty, people are relying on social media to stay connected even more than they do normally. Leverage your social media as a place to invite people to Church Online and share the hope of Jesus.
Meet Physical Needs
Make sure you’re following all guidelines recommended by the CDC and local health authorities. Practice excellent hygiene, wash your hands frequently, and avoid touching items or use gloves if you’re delivering items to someone.
- Arrange for meals or groceries to be delivered or picked up for a single parent, elderly or sick in your neighborhood.
- Give a DoorDash or Grubhub gift card to a family in need.
- Serve with the Central Texas Food Bank at a mobile pantry.
- Another way you can help meet physical needs is through your generosity. You can give financially directly to friends, family, and neighbors in need. And when you give to Greater, you’re partnering with us to continue to be the local church, and you’re supporting global missions partners.
Put love on display
- Learn people’s names and then ask to pray short blessings for your cashiers, drive-through helpers, and delivery workers. Something like this: God, You’re good even when life is hard. I pray You’ll bless [Name] with peace, hope, protection, financial provision, and especially with Your presence today. Amen.
- Mow a neighbor’s lawn.
- Get creative finding ways to spend more time on your porch, driveway, or in your front yard where you can wave to neighbors and ask them how they’re doing: Eat out front, grill out front, walk out front, let kids play out front, wash your car out front, etc.
- Send an encouraging text or email to a family member, friend, neighbor, or someone God brings to your mind. If you can’t think of anyone, ask God for names.
When love is on display, people have hope.
LOVE OUR CITY SERVING PROJECTS – December 10-12
See the LOVE OUR CITY projects and serving opportunities and sign up!